It's unseasonably cool in NYC right now! It was in the 60s over the weekend so Saturday was a great day to take a stroll through Brooklyn. Other Half Brewing is relatively easy to get to (R, F, G trains) and we took the R for a little extra walking on a bright fall day.
Unfortunately, BIG MISTAKE. Other Half is notoriously small, but what you don't realize until you actually get there is that it is the size of a walk-in closet. One table in the center is the only seating and that table was probably filled when they opened at noon.
Not a problem, because we were here for the beer, not to sit around.
First up: Bretty Crocker, a 5% farmhouse stout with cherries and honey. Awesome, easy drinking if you like cherries, if not the fruitiness can be a bit of a turn off. I love cherries so I was set!
Up next we were looking straight at some 6.7% Greenbacks. This hazy IPA had a nose full of fruit (tangerine, papaya, little peach) and the taste followed suit. Very drinkable - definitely shows Other Half's mastery of east coast IPAs.
Only place to go from here was Green Diamonds a double IPA. After a sip all I could say was, "Oh this is Greenbacks turned up five notches...no, ten." This is the IPA with everything turned up hop aroma (hellooo galaxy!), bitterness and alcohol (9.2%).
Tips for your visit:
- Arrive Early: If you want a seat, or even a place to stand comfortably, coming early is your best bet!
- Expectations are Everything: Yep, its going to be tight. Go in knowing that you're going to get cozy with your neighbor and enjoy some awesome, unique local beer.
- Start Slow: Other Half knows how to hop a great beer. Start with lower alcohol and less intense beers and work your way up. This way you will be able to appreciate the more subtle flavors in their lighter styles and see the true intensity of flavors in their well-know double and imperial IPAs.
- Ask: If there are cans to go! It is not easy to get your hands on Other Half cans and the brewery sometimes has cans for sale, but you need to ask about them.
- Bring a Growler: Other Half will fill and growler that meets the specs on their website. Take home some hoppy deliciousness and enjoy it in a place where you can sit down and relax.